7.07.2010

"It's Not a Higher Calling...It's Just a Job"

my yoga teacher said this to me today and i was a little shocked and saddened.  i mean, i'm not the Buddha re-incarnate, but i'd like to think that yoga teachers--like any teacher, really--are special people.  not just anyone can teach individuals how to move and breathe, meditate and cultivate awareness.

i sometimes wonder if i will ever become jaded by life, or if i will remain an idealist as i am now.  i never want to work "just a job."  my time is precious, and i will not have it wasted on tasks that i do not love--or, at least, do not hate.  i don't mind hard work--not at all--but it better be fulfilling on some level.  i suppose it's all in my attitude.  sweeping a floor could potentially be fulfilling work, but i doubt it would fulfill me for long.  i must be challenged to be happy, and also to feel like i am using my talents and skills for a greater good.

may i never become entrenched in a career i hate because i'm too afraid to make a change.

4 comments:

Lady-Cracker said...

If you want it to be more than a job it will be. You get out of most things what you put into them; if you are lucky. Teaching, teaching anything gives you so much scope for really changing a person's life, including your own. I hope you have the distinct pleasure of having someone come back and tell you how just how much your teaching has meant to them.

mt said...

i agree with you...and i HAVE had quite a few people express sincere and deep gratitude for what i've taught them. i can't describe just how amazing that feels...i don't think it will ever "get old" for me.

thanks for commenting!

Lady-Cracker said...

I have been reading more...you have an exquisite joy and perspective on life. Seeing it helps rekindle mine...which adds to my gratitude.

mt said...

may i ask: how did you find my blog?